At present BES is involved in following activities:
- All India Exit Examination for ratings – General Purpose Ratings and Catering Ratings
- Development of text Books
- Development of instructional CDs
- Study into training of ratings
- Improvements in the quality of training of ratings in India
- Advising Directorate General of Shipping on matters pertaining to training and employment of ratings.
- Conducting Inland Vessel (IV) Exam for different grades on behalf of Maharashtra Maritime Board and MMD Kolkata, West Bengal Government.
- Structured Shipboard Training Program for Ratings
- Seafarers Enhancement Programme for Ratings
Other projects in the making are listed below:
- Computer Aided Assessment for Ratings
- Grading and Bench-marking of Training Institutes
- Revision of Text Books (Continual Improvement)
- Revision to Instruction CDs (Continual Improvement)
- Posters to Assist Training